At ECAS, we do not give up before we are sure your pilot career has started. We help you until you find your first pilot job. You do not know how to write a CV, a cover letter, or how to prepare for an interview ? Just ask !
Minimum / maximum age
- 16 years old : minimum age to start the private pilot course (PPL).
- 17 years old : minimum age to start the airline pilot course (ATPL).
- 65 years old : maximum age to fly for an airline doing commercial transport of goods (cargo) or passengers.
- Unlimited : there is no limit of age for private flights.
- Aero-Medical Center :
- The first thing to do before you can apply for a pilot course is to visit an Aero-Medical Center. Ask for an initial class 1 examination if you want to work as a professional pilot or fly for an airline as an airline pilot. Ask for an initial class 2 examination if you want to fly as a hobby.
- Wearing glasses :
- Do not worry if you wear glasses, it is allowed as long as you can see normally while wearing them.
- Colour blindness :
- You can even have a slight degree of colour blindness. This means that if you fail the Ishihara test, you will be asked to recognise the colours used in aviation. For this purpose, the Aero-Medical Center will use the Holmes or Beyne lantern to show you different light colours : white, blue, red, green and amber. The test will be considered as passed as long as you can recognise each colour without hesitation. If you cannot recognise them, you will be granted a class 2 medical certificate which gives the right to get a PPL (Private Pilot Licence) and fly only during day time.
Diploma of secondary education
- Private pilot course (PPL) : no diploma required.
- Airline pilot course (ATPL) : you do not need to be an engineer to become a professional pilot. Basic knowledge of math, algebra and physics is enough. However you will need a diploma from general or technical secondary education or equivalent (enseignement secondaire général ou technique / algemeen of technisch secundair onderwijs).